Monday, October 6, 2008

Eco-Touring Honduras

This article is about some people's touring in Mayan ancient site in Honduras.
It's always interesting for me to know about ancient civilization because to know or guess how they lived is to be a good source to compare how we live today.
The writer is comparing the movie scene which took Copan Maya its background and the real life the ancient civilization might have suffered with borrowing traveller's voice. The author guesses that the Mayan civilization might have been perished because they misused nature like cutting almost all the trees in the city which caused devastation of their land.
This article sounds like just a tour guide, but it is enough to warn us about human's abuse of nature at this century.

4 comments:

Alyssa R. said...

We'll go over how to do links in class on Friday. But you're off to a good start!

Alyssa R. said...

Thanks for sharing this article. I found a couple of things really interesting. First, it's amazing how Hollywood movies can shape people's perceptions of history and reality. I thought it was sort of insulting that the woman was fixated on the human sacrifices in the Mayan culture.

Second, I'm really intrigued by the comment, "Jared Diamond suggests that the elites who might have led the way out of this mess had insulated themselves from the problems of the people." It seems like we're living that problem right now!

I think I'm going to read Jared Diamond's book now. Thanks again for sharing!

Daglys said...

Thanks for share this news about my country!!! I have been in Copan two times in my life and it's one of the most beautiful places that I have been. The description in the beginning of the article about the Great Plaza and others part of Copan made me remember when I was there.

Leomi said...

Oh, it's really interesting to get to know other culture which is different from West civilization.
I like antient civilization too, especially which doesn't exist any more; for example, Egypt. It's a mistry.